Thursday, September 29, 2011

Basic Course: Lesson 4 Video!

I’ve decided to use this Taishanese project as an opportunity to practice video editing on the free trial version of Final Cut Pro X. For my first video, I slapped together lesson four text and audio with a few illustratory photos:

This lesson is the first one with vocabulary and dialogue; lessons one, two and three all had to do with pronunciation. The lesson four vocabulary and dialogue were previously covered in February, along with versions adapted to the pronunciation of the Kaiping dictionary (see here and here).

6 comments:

  1. cool! but isn't the character for 'notebook' 簿?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. As I mentioned recently, when it comes to the Basic Course text itself, my goal is to copy the characters they use as closely as possible—even when that means writing both 夠 and 够 on the same line. Or, as in this case, writing 部 instead of 簿 (see page 15 of the Basic Course). That said, I am also extremely grateful for commenters like yourself who kindly point out the characters that are more commonly used (or even when some characters just look plain wrong). Thank you so much for your comments, and I encourage you to keep on commenting! This blog wouldn’t be the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool and very helpful. Thanks for the posting. All you need now is a barrack picture to represent the Army Language School :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm convinced he says "Oral Materials" at the beginning of each lesson :)

    Also at the end, the book definitely uses 再見, not 在見. That's pretty much why I gave up on making such videos. They are a lot of work, and it's so easy to make a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ipracticecanto: Thanks for pointing out both corrections! I’m really embarrassed about writing 在 for 再; I type using 倉頡輸入法, so there’s really no simple reason for me to confuse the two unless I was saying this out in Mandarin when I was typing (which I was). Indeed, it is a pain to correct this, but I’d like to plod on. This was my first video ever, so hopefully the next one will be better (whenever that is)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Stephen: I wish Blogger had a simple way for me to “like” or “+1” your comment without just writing my own comment!

    ReplyDelete