Monday, February 7, 2011

Basic Course: Lesson 4 Dialogue

Here’s the lesson four dialogue. It’s short and straightforward. No doubt, I’ll be listening to it on repeat in my car.

1 A: 早晨,早晨。 Dō sïn, dō sïn.
  B: 早晨,早晨。 Dō sïn, dō sïn.
2 A: 該尼係乜野? Kwọi nāi hài mōt yẹ?
  B: 該尼係書。 Kwọi nāi hài si.
3 A: 嚀尼係乜野? Nịng nāi hài mōt yẹ?
  B: 嚀尼係筆。 Nịng nāi hài bīt.
4 A: 該尼係乜? Kwọi nāi hài mōt?
  B: 該尼係部。 Kwọi nāi hài bù*.
5 A: 嚀尼係乜? Nịng nāi hài mōt?
  B: 該尼係椅。 Kwọi nāi hài ī.
6 A: 乃尼係紙? Nại nāi hài jī?
  B: 嚀尼係紙。 Nịng nāi hài jī.
7 A: 乃尼係枱? Nại nāi hài họi*?
  B: 該尼係枱。 Kwọi nāi hài họi*.
8 A: 該一尼係乜? Kwọi yīt nāi hài mōt?
  B: 嚀一尼係紙。 Nịng yīt nāi hài wà bo*.
9 A: 乃一尼係畫報? Nại yīt nāi hài wà bo*?
  B: 該一尼係畫報。 Kwọi yīt nāi hài wà bo*.
10 A: 再見。 Doi gen.
  B: 再見。 Doi gen.

You can use the vocabulary list in the previous post to translate these questions and answers. If there are any questions, please don’t hesitate to post in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I really like your blog and am a fan of your work! For your transcriptions of the lessons, I just noticed that you replaced the original characters 𡀲 and 𠮨 which appear in the book with the more commonly found 該 and 尼 respectively. Luckily, I found the two characters 𡀲 and 𠮨, which are a part of unicode and can be displayed using certain extended asian fonts such as SimSun-ExtB and PMingLiU-ExtB. Do you mind replacing all instances of 該 and 尼 with 𡀲 and 𠮨?

    Below is a Box link to a Word document I made where I replaced the above mentioned characters with the proper variants, I also copied your romanization to the document too.
    https://app.box.com/s/x4i3ledid0dlx01mdfs1chrp5y5byqov

    I am also working on doing a basic OCR recognition job on the Toisanese guide PDF, and will post that for you in the comments here when I'm finished. This will allow for you to search the document and copy parts of the text if you want.

    Thank you for all your blog posts on 臺山話! I hope to hear back from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! I finally finished the OCR recognition job and included transcriptions of the first 20 Chinese lesson texts (oral material and reading material). Here's the file:
    https://app.box.com/s/djv0up1ly9acdkrk93iasrb1s8m5j6rz

    OCR or Optical Character Recognition allowed me to make the document searchable. You can highlight the text and even copy it. Due to the nature of OCR recognition software, there are a lot of small errors, but I made sure the OCR is fairly accurate. This way, you can use the Ctrl + F command and find anything of interest within the document.

    I also noticed that there were no transcriptions of the Reading Material for lessons 7-15, so I transcribed those. Below is the final version of that transcription Word document:
    https://app.box.com/s/sjlm9s4f1vydwbzu9lk44izosqxpwwie

    Lastly, I found the character 𠶸, which I used to replace 屐 in your transcriptions. Of course, 𠶸 is not the optimal choice, but keep in mind that the left component "卻" is the traditional form of "却", so the character "口+却" which appears in the Toisan guide would be the same thing as 𠶸 or "口+卻". In order for the character "𠶸" to be properly displayed, use the SimSun-ExtB or PMingLiU-ExtB font.

    I hope to hear back from you soon and hope that you can start posting to this blog again! It's been a long time since you last posted.

    ReplyDelete